Wednesday 21 November 2007

Movies, music and musings.

I took this morning off in the spirit of being kind to myself and slept until 11am. As a consequence I feel groggy from oversleep. How irritating this is. I am either too tired from getting up so early every day, or too tired from sleeping too late.

We went to see The Jane Austen Book Club the other night in the IMC in Dunlaoghaire. It is, as you can probably guess from the title, an unapologetic chick flick (a genre I love, bein' a chick and all) Based on a book from a few years back, it had just opened, but there were only about 8 people in the cinema which has the unsettling effect of making you think does everyone else know something we don't? As it happens the movie is great, I recommend you go with girls!

Speaking of chicks, I recently got Canon, a major Ani DiFranco retrospective and I've been listening to it a lot. She played in Tripod recently but I missed it because I was out shooting Bonfires, which is a real pity. Always a bit anti establishment, Ani releases all her stuff through her own record company Righteous Babe Records, I was surprised to see that you can buy all kinds of stuff on the website, key rings, gym bags, mugs and magnets, it all seems a little commercial. On one of the live tracks on Canon she provides a little insight into this. Basically as her career progressed she didn't want t-shirts and stuff and really didn't want pictures of herself on them, but, as time went on, people began producing t-shirts themselves, and then stickers and mugs and all kinds of stuff, so Ani simply decided that they would bootleg the bootleggers. I have to admit, this is kind of cool.

I am going out to buy chairs now, maybe these, or possibly these, probably not these.

No comments: